Friday, July 29, 2011

The Other Cinderella Story

I'm going to need you to pay attention.
she said
and the way she had of raising her eyebrow
to match her voice
made him look twice
and sit up straight
but the bottom of his spine shook
and he couldn't tell if it was terror
or something else.
I want something that really pops.
I might be the mother of the bride
but everyone knows
I'm the brains of the operation.
The fairy tale business is old news
blah blah blushing bride and handsome prince.
Boring.
What everyone wants to know
is how the woman who made it happen
thinks, walks, and what she wears
and if you hop to it, that label will be you.
So...
I'm thinking red
something smoking--
this mama isn't going to sit back
and dandle gran'babies on her knees
even if they are heirs to the throne.
Make them flashy with a bit of heel
not too much you know as it'd be a bit of a shame
to wear what the queen ain't got--
I can laugh at her even if the press can't
'cause after all I got her the crown
and the ring which might be better.
Cut them tight
if they look too big
people might start asking questions
like how that little bitty slipper
followed something that looks like this.
We'll let them talk
and I'll dance at her wedding even if she can't...


"And the wicked stepmother was given red hot iron shoes
and danced until she died."


No comments: