Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dawn

Among the hills
I am the last to leave the cradle
to see the sunrise above
the earthen swell that defines my world.
My sister, who sleeps beside me,
climbs to the ridge
races to meet the morning halfway.
She is all light
leaving no footsteps
but her shadow
and a faint one only.
The sun is the tightest hug she will accept
with its stretching fingers brushing hers
as its spare hand lingers across the hills
(across the flats, the sea, and the hills again).
She stands and watches the light
bend across light and sees it only
sliding along the skin of one
who climbed the ridge, and the next, and the next.
When it has risen and become fully hers
like the day she cannot share
she returns to bed
curls among the covers and creates
a darkness she can pretend is night
so that the relentless sun reaching for her
through the curtains, the covers
is a new dawn still.
When I shake off the dreams
that keep me quiet and still in the light
she wakes next to me
a whole day ahead.

No comments: