Thursday, June 2, 2011

feather free

Everyday I watch you
sit on the porch and pluck
out your wings
it seems a strange thing to do
after all the trouble of growing them
but then it was a strange thing
to grow them in the first place
How you managed it with those distinctly
human bones I'll never know but I suspect
it had something to do with the boy I saw once
slipping between the trees with earthen grace
with wide hawk wings tucked beneath old denim
and feet that didn't seem to leave a mark
I know. I went to look.
But they called me back to say
that you were sick, that you were crying
through the fog of a fever
saying that you saw feathers, that you heard wings
And I cried by your bed for the angels to leave you be
The left you alone but you were never the same
always in long sleeves never with a smile
and I wonder what covered you so.
Everyday I watch you pluck your feathers
from your scarred arms, watch them fall on the littered porch.


1 comment:

cooljaz7 said...

this is so beautiful,
i love the way you write and what you are writting.
Love jasmin x