Thursday, June 30, 2011

God save the listening.

And they cry, "God save the king,
save the queen, the priest, and me"
O save, save, save,
O Ave Ave Ave,
how holy you are, with your holy teeth
and your bleach, and extended reach,
and oh how the people crowd
to hear you preach
and you teach them to say
and they pray and they pray
"God save the king,
save the queen, the priest, and me"
Say it once say it twice
Say it a thousand times or two
If you say it loud, and loud enough
the echoes might make it true.
That's how truth happens
it's how it came to you
out of the darkness laughing
So scream on with your bleached teeth
and your holy corners on unholy streets
scream "God save the king,
save the queen, the priest, and me."
With your hungry mouth
and holy smile
I will sit and wait for the bows
wait a while.
All I hear is
God sate the king,
sate the queen, the priest, and me.
And as far as I can tell,
you're still starving.

No comments: