Sunday, October 3, 2010

Benediction

we cry among these iron hills

the light is building bars of darkness

above us and how they stretch

how to break the last strength

in our weary necks with looking.

the night falls like a lock

grinding across the long land

turned by an invisible hand

and we are each of us undone.

o mercy mercy me

I fled the long grey walls

to find a prison all my own

and how I hate the jailer the jailer

using my own fingers against me

so tight against my throat

so we come and we sing

somewhere someone

come with your key

come with your stone hard beard

come with all your fear

and set us free

come down moses

come on come on down

bless us bless us

with your lightning eyes

break back the heavy dark

and tell us tell us


be well love

you are well loved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked all the mixed industrial and slavery images.
Kinda cast the benediction at the end of church in a different light, because, although it's a blessing, it's the fallen and trapped asking for a blessing to fall on their fellow man, so it's not a blessing so much as a request for blessing.
I always used to love benediction time. A) It's a beautiful tradition that has been somewhat neglected or dumbed down to "goodbye" rather than "God be with ye" and B) it means the end of church if the sermon has been tedious :)