Monday, December 5, 2011

Shadow Sonata

The dog next door is howling
I try to remember that he is just a puppy
and does not understand the lonesome sound
he makes in the deep night
but it is hard when I think of him alone
in the quiet apartment
making his own noises to keep away
the shadows that seem to slide under the door.
I too have my shadows
that slide through off-hand comments
and grip with a brutal grasp
leaving bruises where I used to breathe.
It's hard to breathe
thinking of you in the dark
walking some sidewalk by yourself
while I thought you are safely asleep
or at least at home, shut away from the night.
I am so afraid
that the shadows have lured you through the door
have taken you for their hungry own
and will not give you back.
The dog next door is howling
and I am crying with him.

No comments: