Monday, March 5, 2012

She Is Not A Tourist Attraction.

The exchange rate is up
and shopping is the cheapest
form of therapy these days
although drinking local beer
is a close second.
The leather purse is nice
one of the best knock-offs I've seen
in at least a week- from Itally
it's marked and I wonder if my mother
would notice the typo error.
Probably not.
Four thousand baht the shopkeep insists.
I would do the math
but it's not worth the time.
Perhaps instead a jade ring
or another one of those
kitschy elephants that acts as massager
and centerpiece at the same time.
Too bad teak is endangered.
It would look bad if someone noticed
I brought that sort of thing
home.
A massage though, would be nice
the kind you can get here
without the back alleys, or questions.
Language barriers make it all
much easier when it comes to questions.
Just "how much" and "how young".
Easier than most souvenirs
and of course, no need to take up room
in the suitcase back.
That one over there, and do you take Visa?

Just cash? Mai ben rai.
Thirty baht for thirty minutes
and then I'll go tour the temple downtown.
Thailand is just full of attractions.

No comments: