Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Third.

There are birds that sing in the middle of the night.
I know this because my window is rolled down
while my headlights light up the spray of the sprinklers
and it is hard to remember the gate code at 1 am.
It has been a long day.
It takes three tries.

He has tried  three times.
I know because I have heard the story
to each doctor, over and over again.
Today I took the suicide note
out of my husband's jean pocket
where he meant for me to find it
later. 

I gave it back to him,
told him I wouldn't claim it,
refused the weight of grief he tried
to tie around my neck.
It has been a long night.
There has been night after night
and days so dark, I can't recall the sun.

But tonight, there is a bird singing
in the blackness that envelopes me.
Tonight I soaked up death with charcoal
and tomorrow I will set it ablaze.
There is a bird singing in the dark
and I can damn well sing too.

2 comments:

Virgil said...

Thank you Lord for sending the bird to sing to Hannah. Thank you Lord that she could hear the bird's song and draw some comfort from it. Surround her with your loving arms and give her strength and peace that surpasses all understanding. Love you Hannah.

Anonymous said...

The pure raw honesty of a breaking heart refusing to slip into the abyss. You're strong whether you like it or not. JD