Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sorrow like a Jungle Grows

You speak to me with all of the tepid haste
that this jungle setting implies
as though the sounds were as sticky as this air
and that the effort of forcing them
through layers of green grey shadows
is more than this moment is worth
I wonder how much it is worth
these scattered segments of a day
that drift in and out of your consciousness
like a handful of orchid petals along the water
how lovely and o they are gone.
So are you --melting in this heat
another shadow lost amongst the trees.
You have all the steady grace of the sloth
startling not in how you move
but that you do
You have been still so long
I had forgotten what it was to see
the length of your arms as they slide through the air
the calm of your eyes as you think and then act.

I still am surprised when you are gone.
What a slow thing grief is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhh I really like this.
I think of thick jungle and I think of amber sap and I think of the thick air..
I really really like this.
--