Thursday, March 4, 2010

Aspire.

Oh you slender city spire
look at you curling through the smog
a gentle mockery of these smoke spirals
and I wonder who you are signaling.
I've been down here for years
timing this pollution carefully
let the puffs of poison rise
one by one against the grey glue sky
and stick there - gangly clouds
with no grace or grief
just a crowded clump of confusion
with the singe of cynicism and I-
I don't know what I'm trying to say
with these signals and stares
So city spire with your cathedral spikes
Who are you singing to?
What are you standing for?
Somewhere is there a station that receives
that sucks up these drifting thoughts of mine
and translates the screams and screens?

City spire does he hear you?
Do you speak and are heard?
O city spire I send my smoke to you
Direct it as it should go.

No comments: