Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fear

There is something about
not writing
that makes me nervous
I wonder about it in still moments
between the talking or folding
and I wonder if my thinking
would be different if I were still writing
I think about it as a microscope
or a telescope perhaps
telling me tiny truths in larger crowds
or making simple statements about the stars
Neither of these are really true
I'm out of practice I'm sorry
but rather it's more that writing is the lens
it bends all the scattered moments of my day
into a beam all tight and focused
bright enough to burn
and now I am merely driftwood
with the sand piling up around me and
it's nice you know.
like burying your toes in the sand
and you flex against the weight of it
and pretend for a second that you cannot stand again
This is what I am pretending
or at least telling myself that I am pretending.
In the middle of the afternoon
when things are bright and busy and
I have no spare hand to guide my thoughts
the sentence hits me like a tripwire
and my breath is lost.
What if I cannot write anymore.
I am not writing because I cannot.

No comments: