Friday, February 4, 2011

Keen

Stand on the ice and say to me
with all the frozen conviction of your soul
in your steady voice
that stings my frosted fingers.

O winter wind the earth's first keening!
Earth when did you learn that He
your first son, your best love
had turned had fallen?
They gave him back to your arms
but your womb could not take him in again.
O winter wind born of sorrow
wring me not to your weeping.
I have my own sorrow to bear and can take
none of yours.
Cold song from colder heart-
who carried the news to her the oldest mother?
Who told her dearest had died?
Tell me winter wind do you know ?
He was your father surely
carrying the seed of heavy grief.
Of word and silence you were born
of the calling home and the empty echo.
You so empty and so full
I cannot see you yet you cut my eyes.
O winter wind I begged you
why did you still make me cry?

Stand on the ice, stranger
Stand and say to me
simple and swift
Have you seen my love?
Is he lost beneath the shifting sea?

O stranger speak!
or silent be.
The wind has come
and already told me.




No comments: