Thursday, February 10, 2011

leave the leaves

I have pressed between these pages
the dreams of many trees
with their slender veins unfaded
and their colour still on fire
They fell with a sort of whisper
but I could not catch their song
so I caught them from the pavement
and slid them into my books
hoping that with all those words
they'd find something to say
But after all these years
I'd forgotten they were there
and to find them unchanged
caught me unawares
They lay there still ablaze
with all their autumn longing
a last leap into the wind
from the crowded broken stem
into a freedom scarce understood
I have caught and crushed them
and they remain uncrumbled

I wonder if someday a tree
will cover up my dreams
Will bury root and tendril deep
over my longest stretching sleep

I stole the drifting leaves
I snatched them from the air
Dark and deep my winter’s sleep
And I am quickly old.
For they are dream of root and bough
and must wander as they go
Child, let the floating color pass
On wind, it’s quickest road
So may you dream and lightly sleep
Before the winter’s cold.

1 comment:

Hope said...

wow you have some very nice work here I am new to this Blog thing looking for an outlet where no one I know will look.. But very nice...