Wednesday, July 30, 2008

for the future from the past

i love to wrap myself
deep inside your coat
like a wintering animal
building a shelter
against every cold thing the world can throw
buttoning it up tight to my chin
and laughing with you
about how it hangs over my hands
leaving the cuffs limp
slumped over like a faucet
that your hands normally spill out of
but with me tucked inside
they simply swing through the air
as loose punctuation marks
to dot the nonsense we say
like the fact that my knees 
are hidden in the depths of this fabric
and how you have to search to find me
amongst the dark folds
but that i'm always to be found
laughing below the collar
that drawn high
covers my mouth and the cold tip of my nose
leaving only my eyes
and those loose curls that drive me crazy
showing in the night air
and you laugh and tuck each curl back into place
while we walk together
talking of other shelters that we will build
under these frozen stars
and how you and me and this coat
will be all that we will need

4 comments:

-evan said...

i love this poem. but, you know that.

May-Belle said...

thank you.
for so much.

Anonymous said...

this makes me happy.

because i can see you.
folded in a too-big coat.
with your happy eyes.
and it makes me smile.
and i cry.

JoyfulE said...

I love it...in a few days I'll probably have more comments as I like to think things like this over in my heart :) but you are an amazing writer...