Sunday, August 2, 2009

a slip of the tongue.

i woke up today with a mouth that stung
the corners of my mouth were raw
my lips swollen and sore
my tongue found the marks my teeth had left
and tasted the rusty salt
that comes from blood and tears


i'm tired of telling my secrets in my sleep
sick of letting slip the things i hid
to make silence worthwhile

its what i do when we sit next to each other
and don't say a thing
i practice not telling you 
all the things you don't know about me

i line them up neatly in my head
i'm afraid of thunder 
because of the way it shakes my bones inside of me
like the windows in a house
and reminds me how easily they shatter
I buy people i hardly know christmas gifts
and hide them around the house
so i don't have to give them
just know that i have them 
i kept the note you gave me wrapped around
a piece of dark flavoured magic
you promised would protect me from the night
like a treasure tucked away

i touch my lip carefully
watching the swelling dip beneath its weight
in my mirror thats speckled and stained
wondering if its worth it
every night accumulating these scars

just in case you learn
the secret of my silent smile
when we sit next to each other
and say nothing at all

one day 
when you're kissing me
i'll whisper, i'll ask you

can you keep a secret

and you'll say yes
you always do to whatever i ask
and i'll laugh and stay quiet
later you'll ask what i meant
what i was going to say-

so can i. 

by the way i don't love you.

1 comment:

-evan said...

"i touch my lip carefully
watching the swelling dip beneath its weight"

i think that was my favourite line. the abruptness of the ending one was nice.