Thursday, December 25, 2008

Time for Takeoff.

you spoke to me at twilight
about running away about being
somewhere only we know
where no one could find us
and i laughed
taking your hand and pulling you
back to the sidewalk i was sitting on
we can't
they'd never let us go
that night was the first time i felt it
the skin stretched taut across my back
and the way it ruffled
like feathers

we didn't talk of it again
for a week or two
till we came to the stop early
and the red engine in front of us
was blazoned with a faraway name
you looked at me and grinned
we could be gone
out of here before anyone knew
swinging your foot up to the stair..
then came ours and i ran for it
calling out you'll be late, tardy again
and you know you can't miss this class
you followed me
and said something
i remember now
-i'll miss more than that-
and i didn't know what you meant
now i do
that day i felt the feathered tips
burst long an inch or two
and down my arms

yesterday
you showed up at my door
waving behind the window
of that old Cheverolet
calling
get in get in
i've got enough gas
to take us away
im on my way lets go
and i looked at you
you were going, for real
heading out for the horizon
i looked at you
and i said no.

you drove away

that night i felt the feathers
down to my wrists and over my hands
strong and silver
and realized what you had done

i have these wings to fly
your love made them strong
but i never realized why
until you had already gone

turn around
i'm flying for you

2 comments:

Candle in the Dark said...

oh. (long release of air with my lips forming the "oh" shape) i want to catch this one and hold onto it for awhile.

Candle in the Dark said...

the editing is perfect.