Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What if you were lost.

i will be there
in the middle of the dark
walking the roads
i told you that i stole this day
slipped it off the calendar
like a jewel on a chain
and slid it into my hand
feeling the weight of it
in my cold cold palm
wrapping my finger round one by one
like the old children
the one who watch adults
and judge them
how they unwrap presents
one line of weak tape at a time
because they know
they know the wise ones
that its all about anticipation
nothing inside the box is worth this
this sped up breathing
and two timed heart
but it itself is worth it
and so they prolong it
tearing each thread of plastic
slowly so slowly
that is how i hold this day
wraping my mind around it
slowly cautiously
bending my fingers around this page
that curls in my palm
like a treasure
like something soft and breathing
and i'm spending this day walking
and waiting
anticipating
i told you i stole this day
and i'm waiting to give it back
because i know it is not mine
you never were

This is Christmas day
and im unwrapping the presents
as slow as i can
waiting for you and your magical presence.

it is the middle of the night
and i am still waiting
one day it will kill me
this anticipating.

1 comment:

1telos said...

i enjoyed reading that!