Wednesday, March 4, 2009

dare to decipher

where will you look for me
when i am small and still 
when i have become what i am

i see you with your panther eyes
the way they scare me when they swallow the light
and the softness of your face
against that shining smile
and you are so silent

so silent

when i run i run i run
flat footed like a child
into your arms so strong and soft
and they smell of safety
but i cannot raise my eyes
because your face is still that other
and in the midst of my tears 
you and i are still silent

so silent

one strong arm sure surrounds me
defining me in terms of you
waist up and i am yours all you
but still these legs would run
clumsy and terrified and so you lift
me up against you and i just hold
on to your slick smooth neck
where the black fur slashes away to skin

you are your own secret
holding me here
and i wonder when you became
so strong so silent

where will you look for me
will you know what i have become
when it is time for me to leave

look how the cat has caught the bird

he was so silent
before the kill

3 comments:

Cable said...

This managed to seem very silent while i was listening to music...so i think it succeeds. Also I loved these lines:

i see you with your panther eyes
the way they scare me when they swallow the light
and the softness of your face

The bit about swallowing light is perfect, and I really like contrasting something as threatening as a panther with something like 'the softness of your face'. It's such a nonsequiter but works perfectly.

This one is great.
Me gusta

thearchitects said...

ooooh. i like it.
somehow. it reminds me of a thing gone wrong.
like a million stories from my childhood all smishedsmashed together in a pastiche of not-rightedness.
bagheera, and alice and beauty with the beast.

and it's disconcerting in it's quiet strange way,
but i like it.
and the rhythm is great. like running and then panting and...super.
haha
i love you by the way.

May-Belle said...

a thing gone wrong.
a thousand things.
a song of things lost.
of fears found.

i'll hold on to you
though you terrify me
because still you're the only thing
that saves me

if you would.
please.