Tuesday, March 17, 2009

i know that its time.

heart of mine heart
you are the secret center
of who i pretend to be
you are the safe city
that who i am bends 
to begin a pilgrimage towards
i am young and careless
a quiet thing
who knows the weight of words
and a child's mouth trapped
beneath the weight of these eyes
that see more than you realize
its strange how small my small pink lips
look when they are still
when they are not stretching themselves
wider than they may go
in a smile that tells you i am safte
flattened to that shape
by the great weight of these eyes
that see that this is what you need
you need to know that i am safe
that my small comforts are enough for me
that the old loves have built me a bridge
from that island kingdom you gave me
and have drawn me back to the real world
that's what you need to know
and what you need to forget
is that you never taught me how to swim
when you swept me away on that great wave
of all that was beautiful and true and forever
in the world the whole wide world
and i left it behind without a thought
because i was where you were
and now still i am where you were
and the tension is in these tenses
but when you turn your telescope on me
you want to see that i've escaped
that i made myself safe
that i am okay

but its better when you're with me darling
and oh its cold its cold this december
because i thought this is where we were starting
and this is where i began the art of remembering

with honor to megan for the final inspiration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much, :)