Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Curse of Common Courtesy.

Let's skip all of this nonsense
these greetings and pleasantries
it's not like you ever left this conversation
you with your telegraphic eyes
with your photographic face
and you could send me signals
from fathoms below the sea
it's always been you and me
in this mixed up mess of a language
and its one long interaction
made up of gestures and chemical reactions
this study in intercultural creations
and you and I are a new mess altogether
I've forgotten all the tongues I used to talk
all the other tongues I used to taste
with the sting and tingle of wit and want
the line between can and can't
With you it's no line
a long vowel of a word with a thousand meanings
and I am the master dictionary
you are the queen of the thesaurus
throwing inflection around like the curve of your hip
against my -against my hand
and I'm catching every tone
deep in the weight of every bone
so lets skip the pleasantries
the greetings and the greedy giving
all i want to know is here
between your chin and eye

do we have a word
for goodbye?

(for you. because I am so sorry.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

merci
there is still the question of truth and lies and right and wrong and good and bad
Alas, the tongue is a powerful tool, a rudder that can steer the course of the whole ship. Lips can produce the strangest sounds, but sometimes it pays off to be cheeky.
There is still much that is unresolved in my heart and mind.
But knowing you will be there during and after is a comfort, as is knowing that courtesy is courteous and not just an elaborate facade of a fire escape.
Thank you
:D