Sunday, March 20, 2011

All in good time.

A pair of birds have taken up residence
in the tree outside my window.
They must be newlyweds
the way they talk late into the night
with the same four notes
over and over again
(I love, I love, I do, I do).
I wonder what made them pick
this particular place--
If it is a good neighborhood
for new eggs and young chicks
or if, being barely out of their old nests,
they cannot afford the live oak
that sits stately across the sidewalk.
This tree is old and respectable even
if perhaps it drops more leaves than it holds
and seems a good place for a beginning.
Its' branches start high off the ground
and the corner of the building
blocks most of the wind.
All in all it is a nice start
with a solid seat and twigs for walls
and some scraps of bright thread
set with a natural eye for colour
it will be a home.
I welcome them to it
and wish them goodnight
as well as perhaps some sleep.
Even with such a sweet refrain
after two I wish they would. . .
refrain.

No comments: