Monday, March 14, 2011

taper boast

Do not ask me
my sweet my star
where I have gone
where I have been
I have been among the mountains
and between the doors
beyond the thousand locks
and over the hundred walls.
The clouds have been grey.
The sky has been blue.
The sun rose and set--
I did not forget you.
I have walked among the dreams
of many men who dream beyond me.
I have sought the stars
many miles below the sea.
I found peace and began war
Woke and returned to sleep.
There were a hundred doors
and a thousand keys...
I have worn through six iron shoes
twelve horses and eighteen hankerchiefs
and in my sleep I could not sleep.
Do not doubt my seemed conceit.
I am he of whom the mermaids sing
and the willows whisper in their grief
of my long leaving and finished deeds.
Did you whisper too?
to sea and sand and rock?
Do not tell them--
they love to mock
all that was with what could be
and what was not with faded proof.
Keep your heart well silent
burn the darker torch
by your window watch
but do not be seen
and when I am of the dreams made king
you shall at last be made a queen.
but haste and away
this is at last the break of day.
Do not ask where I am going
I am already gone.

1 comment:

Granny in the Pew said...

I am he of whom the mermaids sing
and the willows whisper in their grief

I love the rhythm of this line. Hannah you have a wonderful gift and I'm praying God continues to reveal His plans/future. MaMa