Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Newsline.

There was a TV screen
running in the back of my head
with bright lights and bold faced type
streaming below the solemn face
of the too-pretty-to-be-smart woman
reading crises off her prompter
with a cue card that reads 'slight frown'

She's talking about something
it must be important because there's a banner
streaking yellow across the screen
talking of rupture and shattering worlds
breaking news in bulletpoint
-There's a killer on the loose-

and I blinked
maybe to change the channel
or to just absorb the hidden conflict
between her pitch perfect tone ( 'concern' )
-reported in the area of-
and sculpted make-up that declared
I am invincible untouchable
and I agreed with her
- around 5'10 dark-complexioned-

Nothing could touch her
could reach through those layers of light
the semi-solid fragments of ground commodities 
coated around her careful bones
and fragile face
She was the face of perfection
and safe in her well-lit world
-perhaps posing as a salesman-

I mentally sighed at the comparison
pushing my hair back
with the soapy hand still wrinkled
from water and wear
and go to answer the doorbell
looking up into the tanned face
of a a man who smiles and says
-may i come in- .....

2 comments:

fen said...

this is a bit of a different style,

-you had me laughing at the 'slight frown'

-and the first line reminds me immediately of a movie i love...

all in all its interesting and a bit different from your usual style, (although the elivator jazz music behind me could somewhat poison my interpretation of anything right now,)
but i like some of your other ones a lot better,

-what are Your thoughts on it?

-evan said...

i'm five eight, but, i guess that works too. *shrugs* [loved it]