Monday, August 23, 2010

To the Valley Below.

(Suggested listening. Lazarus. Porcupine Tree.) 

I ask you. Can we follow the storm.
So we turn east 
and I watch out the far window 
the last strip of light be swallowed.
There is just a scattered streak
across our faces 
freckles cast by the headlights and the bugs.
I wonder if I rub if they will come off.
It is farther than we thought
but you keep going and I sit curled
with the seatbelt carving strips into my cheek.
You are silent and so am I 
thinking about the rain and when it comes
how clean it makes things.
One day I will probably tell you. . .
but not tonight
with your hands on the wheel and 
the long highway stretched out from your eyes
and the storm just another mile ahead.
The rain sits like a bead curtain
over the land
a rattling sparkling door
that you have to only touch to enter.
Stretching my arms out across the seat
I drum my fingers against the dash 
and you nod your head to the beat. 
Soon with all the rain and wet and roar
things will begin again.
They will be clean again. 
I think about all the dirt and stick and stain
and stretch my fingers further 
till they are pressed against the windshield.
Perhaps it will begin there and stretch
down my long arms like a mountain slope
to gather like a sea around me 
drowning my sins and shame. 
The rain streams down the glass
pooling and separating and cleansing.
Suddenly the storm is gone
and I am still dry. still dirty. 
I look at you and think of how I see you
all clumsy handed with child's eyes
with the broken bird wing across one palm
and your redstained fingers clenched
saying I didn't mean to I didn't know
I know.
I know you didn't know, didn't mean to. 
All across my skin though
I can feel the angry horrid things 
I wanted to say, that I said at night
on the phone with a stranger to you
as if it didn't count because they didn't know
who you were and that you honestly
you didn't know.
Something about this storm
gave me hope that in all of it's weight 
and wonder and striking out the moon
that the wet and dark would make me clean
erase me so far that I forgot all the things
I never meant to feel.
One day I will give it to you.
A single red feather and the word 
forgiven.

Perhaps you will give it back
and I can be clean
again. 

The lightning strikes one last time
and in the flash we glow
like angels
with perfect wings. 




No comments: