Monday, November 8, 2010

Burma

Come and I shall fold
these shattered hills around you
we will hide beneath them
and make shadow puppets
of the stars
There shall be a peace in the twilight
when the shadows have not grown
but in the dark the trees sound
like footsteps
and the long angry mouth
of the scratched and silver monster
breaks forth in its laughter
oh my child, quiet now
perhaps it was only a dream
this time is different than the times
before
when you woke to the burning glee
of those that would destroy us
this time, this time
it is just a dream
look how I have built the hills
into a home for us
we shall call this rock a wall
and this tree a room
I shall fold my shattered arms
around you and we will sing
the old songs and the old stories
and the old safety will grow
wispy at our feet
I will build a home for us
out where nothing can touch us
and the night is as empty
as ever it could be

O my child my quiet child
I shall fold the hills around us
how silent your laughing mouth
in this laughing dark.



No comments: