Saturday, July 18, 2009

A stranger saviour.

An old man stopped me on the street
to ask about my hat
but that is not what he wanted to speak of
he wanted to tell me a story
a grand tale of who he was
and what that meant
to find in the explanation to a stranger
a new vindication of identity
He was eager to speak
and slow to stop, sure that this
was my desire as well
to hear of him and his life
with its great arc and flair
I nodded and smiled
agreeing
that a life like that
was worth telling, worth celebrating
and that I ,strange girl on the sidewalk,
understood

we parted to cross the streets
at 90 degree angles
with mutual gifts
He had given me a story
and i gave him a smile

How strangers may save each other.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"He had given me a story and I gave him a smile. How strangers may save each other" geng jang luey. very well written. makes me think of a lot of people that i randomly met in India...So, what with the good start to the day (imsohumble) and art and a cool "chance" (whatiseverreallychance) conversation, I'm guessing you had a good day? i love how you describe the cause and effect of such incidences so precisely...