Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shadowweaving

It is something I suspect
at night when the sun- with his bright reason
that burns my thoughts away
abandons his post at last.
At night he is gone tucked beyond the horizon
and only his distant cousins stand guard
over all the sensible statements
but they are sleepy sentinels and much slips by
and so do I
with my thoughts and suspicions.
They are suspicions though I am almost sure
because I cannot see any way to test it
and I cannot stretch the hypothesis out
beneath the blazing light of day.
It would surely shrivel and dry into dust
but in the night the shadows swallow it
and I can only guess with fumbling fingers
it's breadth and form.

It comes down to this:
before it drives me mad
I suspect that you are a thing
of mainly bone all stacked up on each other
and these bones are built
of honeycomb cells one against the other
edge supporting edge with it's six walled wax
and wrapped in the wax lies a small secret
all sticky and silent in its cocoon
it is their soft breathing that shifts you about
cell by cell bone by bone and suddenly
you have moved across the room
and are alone again
This is the tentative truth that I believe
about you
you with your honey gold skin that clings
to the slender bones that stiffen at my approach
are triggered by the secrets
with their breath double timed and poof
you are gone
and I am alone again.
So I suspect you with your frame riddled
with small golden glowing secrets
are beyond my touch with bones of cold calcium
and nothing more.

The sun is rising now
and another shadow stretches
next to mine.

"Where have you been?
I've been searching all night."

How the dawn loves your honeyskin
and so do I.

No comments: