Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tripping.

Something about the act of motion
these days
nauseates me.
Sitting toes curled in as far as they will go
and I can't quite close my eyes
because we might not make this turn
even though we always have
before.
It's not that I don't trust you
with your long hand on the wheel
and your mouth telling me
where we are going and where we should be.
It's the Road.
I'm afraid of closing my eyes
of losing my head
and being swept away.
I'll end up somewhere I never meant
with a stranger beside me
and you somewhere behind me
at the very tip of my shadow head.
I will never reach you there.
I have tried-
but you always stretch just a little further than I can
and slip into the dark.
It makes me sick to breathe
thinking like that
but I'm sure the Road is just waiting
for me to look away
to think of you or freedom or speed
and I'll be lost forever.
I will never find you again.
Sometimes counting the streetlights helps
or seeing how far I can push my feet
into the thin carpet between me and the pavement.
There is metal too, I suppose
and that helps because metal won't bend
but then I remember magnets
and am terrified all over again.
It is strangely quiet now.
We have stopped and you are looking at me
waiting to open the door.

Today I reached safety unstolen.
Tomorrow the Road still waits
with all the patience of the future.

No comments: