Sunday, September 26, 2010

Till the Wind Returns

The eastern wind
clung to you
with small grasping hands
like a child suddenly afraid
I wondered what it knew
why it tied your hair so tight
across your shoulders
weaving a net knotted in ebony.
Why did it gather the dust
and scatter it to rest
along the edge of your feet
walls of temporary grace
and still it blew
O eastern wind what have you done?
What have you done with her
my careless love?
O eastern wind did you carry the song
that she listens to next to me
and I cannot hear?
She had the star light in her eyes
while I blinked against the moon
O eastern wind answer me
will she be returning soon?
My careless love with her careless eyes
and I that was so full
of all the cares of the heavy world
saw nothing of what she watched.
O eastern wind you have taken her away
in the dark of the wide night.
O eastern wind what have you done?
Lifting her aching wings
when all I've ever done
was build a path for her feet
weary day by weary day
and in a wild whirling night
she is gone.
O eastern wind my love is gone
my careless love has left
O eastern wind when she is done
will you carry her home?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Regards from Croatia!

Unknown said...

I feel like this poem should go with a Kazu Kibuishi picture to go with it. I can just see Copper sitting next to a girl watching a little dust devil of wind, and the girl is absolutely transfixed whereas copper doesn't notice at all... Although you've written this one so evocatively that it doesn't need a picture to go with it; it creates the picture on its own. Such a brilliant story within all the little nuances of the poem. Very nice