Saturday, September 27, 2008

For a Texas Sunrise

If I could write you into a postcard
I would small words slip
In thin black ink
Like a thousand photographs
Into cheap plastic sleeves
I would slit the thick cardboard
And slowly inject the liquid life
Carefully and precisely
Sharp lines to outline an enigma
And curves that if you follow-carefully-
With your eye include eternity
I would use tall letters
Stretched out against the blankness
With the importance of a city skyline
A beehive of lives in one black streak
I would stack slanted strings of sound
One upon the other
But always leading-elsewhere
As though to pull from the hungry eye
To the feet
Till even the casual postal worker
Four minutes into lunch break
Would find himself staring at the streetsigns
That cross pointing into the horizon
Looking for the answers that lie there
Along some solemn street
That –at midnight- knows my pen
And hungry velvet coated feet
The ink in this portrait is still wet but potent
If I could write you into a postcard
In crisp careful letters
I would blow it dry-sign it love.
And address it here.

No comments: