Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bring me back

The mailman was at the door
When I answered it
Fingers smeared with chocolate
And my hair screaming
‘I don’t care’
while I pressed out the invisible wrinkle
in the clothes meant to remind me that
I was invincible
That I was beautiful
Which is the same thing
As any woman knows
And he noticed especially the latter
Paying the dubious compliment
Of an elevator glance
While he pushed a small package at me
And asked me to sign my name
So I threw my identity
Up against the page
With a quick scrawl of pen
And a grasping of the brown wrapped box
So he backed down
While I turned into the room and
Ignored the turmoil
That I had been creating and destroying
With a spotless corner
That stretched shining arms out from it
Amidst the stacks of photographs
And home videos that lay scattered
The package was going on one of the piles
But I remembered that I had canceled
All my plans
-forever-
so I took it and tore it open
more to tear at something
and watch it peel back in my hands
than to see what was inside
and when a cd slid out
I put it in
Mindlessly
With the automatic gesture of a cashier
Saying ‘have a good day’
And hit play and then again
Because there was nothing there
Or so i thought
Until there came a voice through hthe mesh speakers
That I thought I had chained up forever
But there it was sliding through that grate
As if there was nothing there
-don’t turn this off
please…
you told me once
inside of every lie theres a touch of truth
inside every song a story
I’ve heard a thousand times
That a song can save a soul
So I’m throwing this out there
Hoping it will remind you
what it was like to be whole
Remember what it meant
To have a hand that fit yours
A shoulder meant just for you
And a voice that answered the phone for only you
Oh baby come back please
I’m throwing this into the void
Hoping that in this song theres a story
That you simply can’t avoid
Because fate is real and it is true
And it stole my heart to give to you
So come home dear
I’m waiting here-
And even as I threw my hand towards eject (reject)
The notes drew chains around my fingertips
Caught me and held me
Pulling me through the melody
Back to how it used to be
When I believed in forever
And you believed in me
And we were not two
But one and I was won
My heart and soul by you
So I threw the clutter down
And I raced me to the door
Down the stairs and on the street
Because that’s what love is for
To give you fear and wings
To teach words that could be lies
And make them true instead
So you were still playing the last chord
Of your last shot salvation
When I came flying through the window
To remind you what love was like

No comments: