Thursday, September 11, 2008

hope dangles on a thread.

i stood in a crowd of dreamers today
they were watching the sky
craning their slender necks
upward
like foreign creatures
poised on the edge of flight
that if the light fell just right
they would be off and gone
and i didnt understand
what it was they saw
they were staring and reaching
with one hand only
and the other wrapped in each others
like some delicate engine
pushing them upwards and inwards 
and i 
i wwas gripping only a pen
like a weapon
the slender muzzle of a gun
pointed no where
at no one
they were holding flesh
and i
i'm poisoning myself on love songs
driving them through my feet
nailing me to earth
stitching them to my shoulders
like broken wings
and leaving myself a broken wreck
scraps of hopes and dreams
that weigh me down instead of lifting me
like they are lifting each other
and one by one
they are gone into the sky
leaving only the white sand 
and me
with an ocean of ink
and a bullet of pen.

No comments: