Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Will she come around (go around) ?

i do know what this means
these series of small words
this surface babble
and the silence that drifts between
like snow
piling up at both ends
and oh my ears are cold
but my heart is colder

because a doctor
watching the first symptoms
of a disease he's studied all his life
and knows to still be fatal
no matter how he tries
that to see these signs
in one he loves
shakes him to the core
and turns him to the door
with nothing left to say
to give

i carry a degree in distance
won my doctorate
in the science of grief and goodbye
from the University of the International Airport
and these signs are engraved on my memory
like the list of things to do
during a crises
and i'm afraid we are in critical condition
so here's the problem with this ICU
i can't see you
and this voice only stretches so far
so i'll let the silence say goodbye
and spend my last breath on
i love you.

1 comment:

Candle in the Dark said...

that was. amazing. probably my favorite so far.