Tuesday, April 7, 2009

the answers i don't want. the questions i won't ask.

i'll fold up this photograph
into sharp creases with wide space
disconnect the scrawls on the back
that tell you when and where
but not why
never why
i'll never know why you took
this photograph
what you were thinking with your eyes so far away
and with your hand so close to mine
and i with my head against your shoulder
my eyes closed in the shadow of your arm
and my feet still for once
against the leaf strewn sidewalk
i wasn't going anywhere
your eyes though
looking for the horizon saw things
dreams in which you breathed
and blew out like smoke in the morning
while i ran my finger through the fog
you made on the glass
and erased it till we saw the world 
through my elementary heart shapes
and you laughed
with the sound of leaves falling
or rather how they look falling
your laugh like small streaks of colour
rising and falling in the wind
and then skidding along my skin 
and i keep my feet still
because i never want to leave this moment

i'm folding this photo
giving it creases and wings
and when fall comes i'll send it in the storm
to follow the leaves
i never thought that you would leave
i know the when and where
but not the why, never the why
of where you went to follow your eyes.

1 comment:

1telos said...

very touching, Hannah.