Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Glad Tidings!

This is a note to inform the world that Hannah Minick is now a published poet. The Phoenix, Baylor's Literary Magazine, has generously accepted my submitted piece "Call Disconnected" and published it in their Fifty Year edition. I am completely and totally over the moon right now and do not expect to come down for a good three months. Next year I will compete again with my ambition being this: to have my name spelt correctly. Sadly the name Minick is apparently an unreasonably complex one and therefore the "c" was graciously edited and removed, most likely for reader accessibility. I do not, however, intend to continue with this Anglicized version of my illustrious name of German heritage and would contemplate a letter of righteous outrage if i were not so ridiculously happy right now. Thank you to all of you who bullied, browbeat, bothered, bugged, and in other forms, encouraged me to submit because I know that my terribly tremulous heart would never have been able to hit the 'send' button without you.  Especial thanks to my Dad who, for the price of five poems a week, rented me a laptop and instilled in me the discipline that now helps to keep me sane in the midst of life. Another thanks to my Mom who loves me no matter how badly I write, and is also bold enough to tell me that she has no idea what in the world I am trying to say...at which point I get to practice revising. I feel like I can now stand and say "I am a poet." I need not apologize, apostrophize, amend, nor add appendixes to that statement. This is not to make the claim that this contest has in any way defined me but rather that it has validated my position as an artist. 

Currently I am watching the adventures of Brave Princess Amy and Sleepy Ogre Rebecka. Life is good.

Call Disconnected

I'm reaching for you
through these narrow wires
Can't you see me
My fingers squeezed so thin
like shadows on a wall

And you can't hear me
Don't turn around
Walk past this swinging receiver
'cause all that's coming
is the dial tone

and maybe today's the day I realize
we all grow up alone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!! YES YES YES YES!!!!!!
oh we will celebrate^^

-feniak

Unknown said...

WOOOOT WOOOOOT!!!!
you know, none of us are surprised, except that it took so long. I'll congratulate you more fully in December (i'm thinking some fancy restaurant, somewhere) but for now, CONGRATULATIONS!!
and megan, i think we should start the preliminary celebrations soonish

Samm Mackin said...

my dear we are becoming young professionals all so soon! I am thrilled for you!

Anonymous said...

Hannah, so very happy and proud of you!! Congratulations on being published...looking forward to getting the Phoenix in our post. Your insights stretch me to thinking of things from different plains and the many glimpses into you delight me!
I love you,
Mum

Candle in the Dark said...

that is one of my favorites of your's :) I'M SO PROUD. i want to see it. all published and official and whatnot :)