Monday, April 20, 2009

hope of holiness. hope of wholeness.

i want you to stand like the man
who i drive past every day on my way
to what i want what i need
and he has his arms out
his fingers flared and waiting
for the world to change for him
for me to stop and begin to understand
he stands there every day and his face never changes
watching me and the horizon at the same time
as though i and it were one
that i was simply a momentary personification
of all the infinite possibilities of that blurred line
and as if he saw all of its faraway beauty crammed 
into my pulsing skin and at the corner of my mouth
where waits still that last step towards freedom
he does not want to take it
but stands still with his arms out and his face soft
in the sun which alternately strokes
and then beats against him
much as i do in my mind in my small hungry fury
that curses him as the disease and claims him as the cure
and finally collapses in my stomach weary and worn
from its own fists thrown against the floor
still he stands, so still it seems the wind itself
that sweeps all these things to the sides
the leaves and my hair tie together around me
to blind me and choke me and leave me 
with nothing to say to see
but he is not moved not swept away
still waiting for something to change

one day i will break and press my pale face
against that white shirt and cling to that smooth neck
and cry all the thousand fears that one day he would leave
till at last i am still and feel in him the bending
the impossible coming true and his arms around me

the church folk will gather and speak 
of miracles and vandalism
"look how the arms have moved
how his holy face once watching the sky
bends down now and gazes with a new look
how along the side of his cheek a marble tear lies
see these footprints that come
and none that leave, nothing here but a ring of keys
who can scry this mystery?"

No comments: