Saturday, May 2, 2009

Peter and Ariel

dont forget, as you have forgotten,
that i am the sea child
i will bide my time and you may come to see me
tame and easy to bind
with your rude rudder
you may put me aside in your sandstreaked mind
like an old toy, an old love
but remember, you will remember,
the way i swept you away with my long fingers
that reached beyond what you understood
and took you away into the depths
of what humanity, and the sea, dares to be
in the secret caverns where all is dark and light
where you reached for the sun
and i lifted you with all my swirling strength
and threw
and now there you are
standing on your silly shore
looking out at the waves as though they were a backdrop
for the more important shot
you'll never see your shadow slipping away
sinking into the salt water with your soul

I'll sew it back on with my needle and thimble
in your dreams that you cannot forget
and you will wake up and remember
what i told you in that last moment

I was the sea child. until we met.
Now I am a woman grown
I charge you. do not forget.
Neither you nor I were made to live alone.

1 comment:

Candle in the Dark said...

last stanza had me gasping for air a bit.