Thursday, May 28, 2009

when i'm up on the ledge
leaning into the wind
thinking about the world
and the wild edges that i've yet to see
about the way my arms are built
i've seen them all glowing and white
with their pieces fitted in tight
looking like something familar
something i've seen before
in the rocks in the canyon
brushing the years away with my two hair brush
and my trembling fingers
watching the beak come pointing out
and the tips and the feet
that grabbed air currents and rode them free
i see them in my dreams
those yellow bones hard as can be
stretched and reaching 
still grabbing the world through me
hungry and wheeling and screaming
its screeching freedom song
it pulls me up on the ledge
me with my pieces all together and bare
looking for something to sweep me away
when i am up on the ledge
leaning into the wind
thinking of all the wild places
in the world i have yet to be

your voice comes up saying
come back down
come back down dear
come back
come back down

so slowly i climb back towards gravity
find my toeholds back to safety
closing my eyes and following your voice
come back down dear
and i have no choice

the song of freedom 
is something i cannot hear
under the cadence of you
come back down dear

No comments: