Friday, December 10, 2010

Gordian.

I found you by the turn of the stair
tied by your silken sash
to the mahogany rail
sitting with your fingers careless
knotting the ends of your hair
with your shoes double tied
and the rope of pearls twisted into
a Gordian cluster around your neck.

I told you that we were, as always,
late
and that this time you'd promised
you'd solemnly swore
that we'd get there on time
not like every time before
and what was this ridiculous mess
we had no time for silly games
but get yourself up and lets go.

and you looked at me and laughed
with your brittle bright smile
that shone even as it cut
and how my heart bled
as you laughed and laughed and said

But baby I didn't mean to make you wait.
I know, I know we can't be late
and I know you'll probably hate
me for this but you see

There was a thing or two
a mess and a scare and a bit of the dark
and I couldn't find the light and I knew
we'd probably end up fighting and
somehow everything ended up all wrong
and now I guess, well you see, it's just
I got tied up.

You laughed the whole time
I untied you
and carried you up the stair
through brushing out your hair
and taking off your shoes
until lying down in our big bed
you cried and told me
there was nothing nothing I could do
that you were all tied up inside your head.

No comments: