Friday, December 10, 2010

Make a Wish.

Once I caught the half bell curve
of an drifting eyelash
on the swell of my finger
It slid into the sprawl
of my rigid fingerprints
a puzzle piece slotted neatly in.
I wonder each time they fall
if there is something I missed
If like the petals of the rose they mark
the strands of time that I forgot
and mirror the coming doom.
One by one, at each half-finished tale
each friend that slipped away, each
afternoon spent without thought amidst
the swollen space of the crowded world,
and they work loose and fall
and I am one step closer to the end
the inevitable moment when these
the last slender spears between me
and all the grit of truth
are gone, lost forever on the wind
and my eyes are forced open and raw
blinded by the grinding light.

So let me be careful to blink
and light with the mascara's ink
too soon this soul must sink
beyond the edge of mortal brink.

1 comment:

Mint. said...

NEW FAVOURITE.