Tuesday, January 27, 2009

breathless

i like the way you breathe
like its something surprising
each small breath with a small catch at the end
where it whistles a little
against your smooth teeth
it makes me think that you
were once something else
a fish perhaps
and in your gliding motion
you drew oxygen to you through 
your silvered scales
and never had to think of it
you still do that here
in this flat land of horizon and wind
you pull all the air around you
like a regal robe
drawing the eyes of all
and not noticing, never noticing
but i do
and you ask me what i'm thinking

I like the way you breathe
and how you take my breath away

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its absolutely beautiful.
and I cant put to words what Im trying to say..
what exactly it reminds me of..
but I see the paper and its an old song, stuffed between pages of a book sitting beside a tinted window partly open, the paper soft with wrinkles, fluttering a little in a summer breeze and the sound is classy, its years old, its julie martin, its lovely,

or maybe its because I fell in love with this song the same day I fell in love with this poem,
and I now pair the sound of one with the words of another..

http://drop7.com/mp3s/music/Starflyer%202000%20-%20Leigh%20And%20Me.mp3

-this is how it sounds in my head