Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Castaway

I stand on this silent sand
waiting for the sunrise
and my feet are cold.

It's coming.It's coming.

The crackling begins at my toes
hissing and popping around my ankles
and this may be more than I can stand.

It's coming. It's coming.
I know.

The grinding crescendos against my legs
the chaos curls around my knees
and I lock them tight against each other

It's coming. It's coming.
I know
and I will wait.

The waves are crashing upon my face
the echoes soaking through my skin
and I strain to maintain my balance.

It's coming. It's coming.
I know and I will wait
as long as it takes.

I'm standing in this sea of static
listening for your voice. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow
i triple love this poem cos it makes me think of the sea and it's a great poem and it's by you.
the ocean is amazing with the waves that crash down on anyone who stands against them and the immense thrill that you feel simply by daring to stand against them. that's what gets me the most about this brilliant metaphor. it feels so real. great poem.

Anonymous said...

i like hissing and popping.. crescendos -mm.
soaking through my skin. ha.

initially wasnt a fan of the static line, but
this is what we live every Day.. its true and its good when
we wait,
--

http://www.purevolume.com/meganfeniak
Fen?