Thursday, January 22, 2009

VIsion.

i don't quite dare yet
to curl my fingers around this slight weight
this golden key that rests in my palm
i never thought i would find it again
locked that door and threw it away
closing my eyes and letting the past
take care of its own
let the dead bury their dead
and i will continue you on my weary way
because sometimes only the dead may sleep
the living start too often
from worlds of fantasy that mirror too closely
their waking weary ways
i dare not claim this key 
any more than the pressure of its weight 
against my slender hand demands
in fear that it too will dissipate 
like all thosethings of the past
that i though i had left behind
but here i am
at the face of this golden door
with this key to match
and i'm reading a word i thought i had forgotten
one that i had packed away
to be found by some distant descendant 
and yet here it is for me again
in the center of this plaque 
that invites me to go
home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

choop choop
i always wondered about that verse. it seems kind of strange. let the dead bury their dead...
and i can't help but wonder, where is this plaque that holds the key to that illusive enigma "Home"
:D