Monday, January 18, 2010

Fall falls on the Suburbs

Welcome back.
The sidewalk has been missing
your shadow along the street
skipping crack by crack
because she won't (she won't) take you back
and your toes have magic in them
your lips sing spells in the sunset
and the red sparks singe the summer skin
that stretches over this town
a slender balloon on the edge of bursting
but if we just believe
the line will hold and the sun stand still
so close your eyes and count to three
turn around and we can still be free
you so new returned and I
with my dreams still clinging to my fingers
dripping hope from the edges of my hair
and it splashes on the sidewalk
against your bare feet without you flinching
Sharpedged in this twilight where everything blurs
you stand against the concrete like an assault
and I am afraid.
oh my friend my love.
You are already gone.
The spell is broken the summer dead.
You've left inside your head
leaving just your empty hand
to swing next to mine, an empty invitation.

The night has fallen
and you don't even hear me sigh.
Welcome back my love
and goodbye.

No comments: