Wednesday, January 27, 2010

O for some rain.

The street is the same as it has been
each of the hundred days before
I would think that one day there will be a change
small cracks stretched out like girls sunbathing
swallowing up the heat with their hungry skin
and splintering away into shadow dolls
across the sand expanse
and that one day the road will be a pile
a faint path of gravel and cement dust
ground away to nothingness beneath the weight
and the sun but...
The sun was warm today as it always is
and the heat sank through the air gracefully
the spray from a continually spring
to where I don't even feel it anymore
between my fingers and under the weight of my hair
I notice its slow waves crawling down the road
the thousand undulating motions on its way
to some place still holding its cool breath
like a treasure hidden away from thieves
the sun will slide in through the window and steal it away
but not today...
Today I saw your father across the road
myself on one side and he on the other
with the lazy heat sliding along the street
and the thousand hairline cracks in the cement
drinking up the golden drops like wine
and then the rain broke down on us

I stood wet and saw him across the street
with the water running down the long lines of his face
and sinking into the seams of his shirt
and spreading its thin line like a stain across his chest
and broken came the pain pouring forth.
A thousand miles and a long farewell.

The street is not the same.
The heat sticks to my skin.
You are gone and far away.
The rain has stopped again.

1 comment:

fen said...

small cracks stretched out like girls sunbathing? that part doesnt really make sense to me, I cant really..... picture it. in my mind. ha ha

the lazy heat sliding along the street
and the thousand hairline cracks in the cement
drinking up the golden drops like wine

I Love this. drinking up the golden drops like wine.
----

I saw your father across the street,
and we shared in missing you
-like we always do.