Tuesday, February 3, 2009

lament of mar

  you don't understand
i'm still a foreigner here
a mermaid on land may live but she's the stranger
to this stumbling gait
to the wear of grit on her feet
and each step is just a little bit harder
than you would think
because the gravity grief
tugs at every corner of me
and makes each smile that much heavier
because i need to pull it up from the corners of my mouth
like strands of seaweed that used to catch
on my tail and make the ripples green
and there i knew how to move
could find my way
easily and confident
as surely as you do on these streets
with your head up high and never looking
behind though i am falling further
flailing about looking for something to hold on
failing at all that i tried
till i slide at last to this soil
that sticks to me and drags me down

i always thought the sea would cry on my bones
but it seems only the raindrops
expatriates as well
dare to grieve over me

1 comment:

Unknown said...

expatriate raindrops? nice! i love love love this poem marinna (im assuming that what mar stands for also?)
it makes me kinda sad for you though (perhaps because it is a lament which kinda implies sorrow.) rather than being forced to swim in the sea of your eyes, however, i'm sure you'll soon find that the sky is the other mirror-side of the sea, and once you learn to swim in it you can wrap your tail around the stars.
i really really like this poem though. a brilliant expression of emotion and thought. nothing like a bit of seafood for my poetry buffet :D