Saturday, February 14, 2009

Strangers on the corner of Rou Deja and View Street

I saw three men walking
with their lumps of skin shoved up close to one another
like memories do on holidays
and it has come to this
that the skin and bone and muscle all
crowd together in anxious groups
each small swelling clinging with flat edges to the other
it looked the most fragile thing I've ever seen
as if they but for the glass would fall
and scatter like a thousand water droplets
and be lost
but they in their lumps of muscle bone skin and all
were long armed and tall and moving
with flat eyes that could see beyond itself
and so kept on with its lumps of being
still cold
i saw three men walking
and I turned another way
they put fear in my heart and i care not where they go

except that one looked like you
in your day of fear and strength
and i wanted to wrap all my soft skin around you
and make you human again


1 comment:

Unknown said...

oo i like the title on this one. altho for some reason Rue Deja and View Street seems to be a smoother combination in my opinion. There's something kinda gross and sweaty about the tone to this poem. I have no idea how you did it, but i can almost feel fat people smooshing themselves into sticky groups and rolling up and down the streets.
I want to know the story behind this one